May 21, 2026

admin

War breaking news. Trump: hope deal close. Khamenei: uranium must remain in Iran


Heated Trump-Netanyahu phone call, tense discussions on Iran

The heated discussions on how to proceed with Iran were allegedly behind the ‘prolonged and dramatic’ telephone conversation on Tuesday between US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The two leaders – three sources quoted by CNN reported – allegedly tried to reach convergent positions, but the conclusion of the phone call left the Israeli head of government ‘furious’.

Trump and Netanyahu had already spoken two days earlier, on Sunday. The US president, on that occasion, had anticipated his intention to proceed with new targeted attacks against Iran at the beginning of the week, an operation that was to take on a new name: Operation Hammer. However, about 24 hours after that first conversation, Trump announced the suspension of the attacks, according to him, at the request of his Gulf allies, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. Countries that, in the following days, would remain in close contact with the White House and Pakistani mediators to work on a framework that could facilitate diplomatic talks.

“We are in the final stages of the Iran issue. We will see what happens,” Trump then told reporters yesterday, referring to efforts to reach an agreement. “Either we will reach an agreement or we will do something a little bit unpleasant,” he continued. “But I hope it doesn’t happen.”

On the Israeli side, however, the ongoing negotiations have frustrated the prime minister, who has long advocated a more aggressive approach to Tehran. Netanyahu has argued that a postponement would only benefit the Iranians. And the PM reportedly expressed his disappointment on Tuesday, telling Trump that in his view the postponement of the planned attacks was a mistake and that the president should have proceeded as planned, according to a US official. During the hour-long conversation, Netanyahu also reportedly insisted on the resumption of military operations.

During the phone call, therefore, a divergence between the two positions would have emerged rather clearly: Trump wanted to assess the possibility of reaching an agreement, while Netanyahu expected something different, an immediate attack against the Iranian infrastructure, especially the energy infrastructure. And the Israeli concern after Tuesday’s phone call would quickly spread to officials close to Netanyahu, another Israeli source told CNN. At the top of the Jewish state government, in particular, there remains a strong desire to resume military action and there is growing frustration that Trump continues to tolerate what they call a diplomatic stalling by Iran.

Cnn: Iran restarted drone production during ceasefire

Iran has already restarted part of its drone production during the six-week ceasefire that began in early April, CNN reported today, citing two sources familiar with US intelligence assessments.

US intelligence indicates that the reconstruction of the Iranian army is proceeding much faster than initially estimated, the US broadcaster adds, citing four sources.

Iran: China, Pakistani premier to visit from Saturday

The Pakistani premier, Shehbaz Sharif, will be on an official visit to China from next Saturday to Tuesday. This was announced by the Foreign Ministry in Beijing. The Asian giant’s diplomacy points out that it is a visit at the invitation of the Chinese premier, Li Qiang. Pakistan is continuing the difficult mediation between Iran and the United States. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, US President Donald Trump and Russian leader Vladimir Putin have visited China in recent days.



Source link

Leave a Comment